James Wilson Fellowship
Washington, D.C., July 30-August 4, 2017
Prof. Hadley Arkes will lead five days of seminars on natural law in Washington, DC, July 30-August 4, 2017. In those concentrated sessions, he will deal with these central points: the moral ground of the law; the properties of moral truths and how we know them; but then beyond that, how we may apply those principles of natural law systematically to the cases that arise in our law. The question is whether we can shape in that way a jurisprudence with moral coherence. Arkes will be joined in leading the sessions by other notable scholars as well. For a look at our previous class of fellows, please see our earlier classes: 2014, 2015, and 2016.
The Institute seeks up to 15 fellows who are advanced law students, clerks, or lawyers no more than 8 years since graduated from law school who have a background or interest in practicing constitutional law. Each fellow will receive a $1,000 stipend and funds to partially defray travel expenses. Accommodations, meals, and entertainment will be provided.
Please submit the following package of materials to be considered for the James Wilson Fellowship:
1. Personal Information (please include a document with each of the following items clearly labeled: Full Name, Date of Birth, Mailing Address, Preferred Telephone Number, Email)
2. Resume (please include: undergraduate and graduate education with degrees expected, professional experience, fellowships, internships, awards, and publications)
3. Personal Statement (In less than 500 words, please explain your interest in becoming a James Wilson Fellow, learning under Prof. Arkes, and in more deeply understanding natural law)
4. Legal Writing (please include one of the following of up to 15 pages: journal article, legal brief, course paper, or other relevant piece)
5. Contact information for two References.
6. Official Academic Transcripts (all undergraduate and graduate work; may be submitted separately)
All application materials should be directed to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Materials may also be sent to the following physical address:
James Wilson Fellowship
Attn: Garrett Snedeker
722 12th St. NW
Washington, DC 20005
A complete application package is due May 3. Candidates will be notified by May 12.